200g mushrooms whole button but any other can be used
100ml BIMS lemon, garlic and pepper sauce
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp olive oil, ½ tsp butter
2 tablespoons whipping or double cream
2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese, or any other hard cheese of your choice
1. Put the oil and butter into a shallow frying pan and place over a gentle heat.
2. Finely chop the onions s and add to the pan. Fry gently for a few minutes, stirring occasionally and ensuring the onions do not start to brown or burn.
3. Prepare your mushrooms by gently wiping any dirt from their surfaces with a piece of kitchen towel – never wash mushrooms as they will absorb the water.
4. Add the mushrooms add to the pan, stirring so that they become coated with the oil.
5. Once the mushrooms have all started to colour, pour the lemon and garlic sauce and cream to the pan and turn the heat and the liquid starts to reduce. After a few minutes, the mushrooms should be cooked, so turn the heat back down quite low and heat gently for a couple of minutes.
5. Serve on toasted bread and glaze with cheese
Reduced fat cream or soya cream works perfectly in this dish.
For a slightly sharper taste, try using creme fraiche in place of the cream. To make the dish more substantial, try using finely sliced baby leeks in place of the onions. You could grate a strong cheese such as stilton over the mushrooms before grilling, this produces a much richer dish.